Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Fears of Lehman's CDS derivatives haunt markets

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:46:37 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Norman MacLeod" <gaelwolf () waypt com>
Date: October 17, 2008 1:11:06 PM EDT
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] Fears of Lehman's CDS derivatives haunt markets

There are a couple of really severe problems with CDSs. First, the opacity of that program makes it very difficult to find them . . . so we don't have
a good handle on who is exposed, and how deeply those exposures run.
Second, the pile of CDSs is somewhere around or above $55 Trillion . . . which, unless I'm mistaken, is somewhat greater than the entire global GDP.

That would tend to indicate that the slippery slope is about to become a
heck of a lot steeper than it is today.

I'd say that those who live in rural areas are much better position for what may come than those who live in urban and suburban areas, regardless of how
much the country mice have stashed away.

        Norman