Interesting People mailing list archives

fascinating read on wall st. by Michael Lewis - Liar's Poker author

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:29:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () cmu edu>
Date: November 13, 2008 11:36:48 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: fascinating read on wall st. by Michael Lewis - Liar's Poker author

Dave,

For IP consideration

http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/national-news/portfolio/2008/11/11/The-End-of-Wall-Streets-Boom#page1

I found it highly illuminating (and a good read).

snippet: "That’s when Eisman finally got it. Here he’d been making these side bets with Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank on the fate of the BBB tranche without fully understanding why those firms were so eager to make the bets. Now he saw. There weren’t enough Americans with shitty credit taking out loans to satisfy investors’ appetite for the end product. The firms used Eisman’s bet to synthesize more of them. Here, then, was the difference between fantasy finance and fantasy football: When a fantasy player drafts Peyton Manning, he doesn’t create a second Peyton Manning to inflate the league’s stats. But when Eisman bought a credit-default swap, he enabled Deutsche Bank to create another bond identical in every respect but one to the original. The only difference was that there was no actual homebuyer or borrower. The only assets backing the bonds were the side bets Eisman and others made with firms like Goldman Sachs. Eisman, in effect, was paying to Goldman the interest on a subprime mortgage. In fact, there was no mortgage at all. "They weren’t satisfied getting lots of unqualified borrowers to borrow money to buy a house they couldn’t afford," Eisman says. "They were creating them out of whole cloth. One hundred times over! That’s why the losses are so much greater than the loans. But that’s when I realized they needed us to keep the machine running. I was like, This is allowed?"

The lingering Q I have for those more skilled at this - how much of the current mess is transference of wealth vs. loss of wealth? At one level, isn't it all transfer? Every stock sale has two parties, etc. Of course, some transfers may be outside the US.

Of course, one has opportunity costs - if one blew a billion dollars of R&D on a product that failed, then that money paid salaries, contractors, etc. Went somewhere. But not long-term value. If Wall st. is about capitalism which is about *allocation* of capital, I want to know not only where it went (an accountant will tell me, sometime later on) but what good it did.

Rahul

--

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Scientist

Program in Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS)
School of Computer Science (ISR) /
Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA