Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: WORTH READING Wow -- eye-opening

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:36:48 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: November 13, 2008 11:25:25 PM EST
To: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] WORTH READING  Wow -- eye-opening

Furthermore:

While I can understand the general sense of ludicrous caution that
underscores these questions, it is nevertheless ludicrous.

"Do you know someone who could be used unfairly to impugn your character?"
Of course; even wallflowers have enemies, never mind useful people.

"Have you ever borrowed more than $10,000?"
Hasn't everyone who's ever had a student loan or started a company?

"List any potentially embarrassing e-mail messages."
Okay, but I don't have to mention my presidential porn collection, right?

"Do you write potentially embarrassing things in your diary?"
Why else would you keep a diary?

"List all comments and blog postings you've ever made."
Sure, just...  Google $myname | lp -P $yourprinter

"Do you know any [...news organization...] that might take
steps to criticize your appointment?"  You mean, apart
from those douchebags at Fox News?

Lawyers.  Can't run the country without 'em,
can legally tell 'em to cram their stupid questions.

Courtesty of Frank Wales