Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING the undead urban myth of the LOC/EID split -- is science just politics by another name? [long response]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 02:42:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Day <day () std com>
Date: November 5, 2008 8:49:37 PM EST
To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>, dave () farber net

At 10:27 -0500 2008/11/05, David P. Reed wrote:
In 1975, the purpose of the ARPANET and the Internet was *remote login*. Almost all traffic was from character or line at a time Telnet clients and their concentrator equivalents called TIPs. (and the X.25 spinout called Telenet that Larry Roberts started was optimiized even further for small packets). In fact the raging *technical* argument was that the IP and TCP headers were incredibly wasteful for terminal traffic. One of the reasons that we were forced to use 32-bit IP addresses by conservative engineers who objected to variable length addresses proposed rather seriously by a number of us.

Errr, Dave, you are right that most of the traffic in 1975 was Telnet. I know of no one who thought that was going to be the primary use, nor was anyone designing for it. In 1975-6, we had a production distributed database system running on the ARPANET serving 10s of users in the Chicago area. And we were delving into other aspects of the problem. In late 73-74, there were several proposals for a next generation of "resource sharing" protocols. The National Software Works was being done. Farber's Ring at Irvine. The Datacomputer and several other things.

As far as character at a time traffic this was unique to the Tenex' and many of us thought this was pretty silly given the resource constraints at the time. (Not in the Network, the Tenex code was so slow that one could type a line and half ahead before the echos started coming in. (You might have been able to type further, but by then I usually waited for it to catch up to see what I had.) I would direct you Padlipsky's RFC#1 (As in Ritual for Catharsis) for a delightful skreed on the problems (some Mike would probably call political, but you can ask him) of dealing the Big Bad Neighbor who insisted on delivering coal one lump at a time. ;-) Line at a time would have been, and was fine, for using Multics and other systems. Character-at-a-time could wait until at least BBN figured out how to speed up their OS code! ;-) They tried all sorts of things to improve it. Remember the Retransmission and Echo Option for Telnet that never worked?

It is really unfortunate that ARPA backed off from pursuing the vision they had started. There is a good chance that if those new efforts had not been shut down in early 1974, we wouldn't be having the problems we are seeing today.

Take care,
John

I find it strange and kind of amazing that someone who claims historical knowledge would think that the projects were set up to "favor" file transfers. Huh???

Revisionism is something that politicians do to history when it doesn't fit their dogma. An ideological partisan might see the history of the Internet as somehow pushing the idea that ISPs should be forced to do something they don't like. That's what partisans who see politics everywhere tend to do. But in fact, there were NO ISPs on the horizon in 1978-1990. So what political agenda can we argue other than that that lives in some revision and delusion of the past.

Begin forwarded message: