Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING the undead urban myth of the LOC/EID split

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:22:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: November 5, 2008 6:43:55 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   the undead urban myth of the LOC/EID split

OK, I've been biting my tongue during this discussion -- but if we are delving into "what might have been" done with addressing, let's give full credit to Yogen Dalal and Bob Printis for their paper, "48-bit Absolute Internet and Ethernet Host Numbers." It has recently been on a number of lists for "my favorite papers." People thought we were crazy when we argued for 48-bits in Ethernet addresses, and then 48-bits in Internet addresses.

The work emerged as a pre-print from Xerox PARC published around July 1981:
http://ethernethistory.typepad.com/papers/HostNumbers.pdf
The published version came out later in 1981, in ACM SigComm:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1013879.802680 [ACM login required]

They presented the full, complete case for a very large flat address space for Internet addresses. [Although not specifically identified in the paper, this was the basis for the Xerox Network System (XNS) protocols, which were implemented and sold as part of the Xerox product line.]

The paper is an easy read.  My favorite part:

"48 bits allow for 140,737,488-million physical hosts and multicast IDs each. We chose this size based on marketing projections for computers and computer-based products, and to permit easy management of the host number space." "An estimate of the number of computer systems that will be built in the 1980s varies.... The US Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of Census estimates that in 1979 there were 165 manufacturers of general-purpose computers, producing about 635,000 units... There were also about 992,000 terminals and about 1,925,000 standard typewriters built!" "We expect that the production of microcomputer chips will increase in the decades that follow, and there will be microprocessors in typewriters, cars, telephones, kitchen appliance, games, etc. ... For example, when a car containing a microprocessor chip needs repairs, it might be plugged into a diagnostics system thereby putting the car on a communications system."

I sure wish I had written that, 28 years ago. They had a lot of foresight, and had worked out the details: unstructured addresses, network hints, clearinghouse lookup, multi-cast, etc. How much would we pay to have a 280-trillion element flat name space today? If only I could figure out how to rewind the video-tape and start over......

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures