Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:18:54 -0700

From: Randy Fischer [randy.fischer () gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:47 PM
To: salex () dsalex org; David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

Dave, I think this has strayed off topic, but who knows?

Scott,

Alas, it's impossible to do historical experiments,  so this is conjecture.
But my point wasn't so much that if only pR0n had been available, Ham
would have taken off - rather, that the restrictions placed had the unfortunate
and contrary side effect that the Amateur Radio network couldn't expand.

An example:  about twenty years ago, I wanted to network two LANs
together over packet radio.  Now (as I recall) I was allowed to set up
unattended point-to-point LAN/radio routers,  but it was impractical
because of the risk of someone sending commercial or obscene
material, and I could not very well monitor it.  And of course,  encrypting
the data was strictly forbidden.  So I moved on.

-
Randy Fischer