Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:15:14 -0700

From: Scott Alexander [salex () dsalex org]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:14 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

Dave:

Of the many conversations I've heard over why amateur radio is fading
(or equivalently how to get more people involved), content is one
argument I haven't heard.  The success of the Internet is a common
one.  After all, for the kid sitting at home in his room who would
like to talk to people across the world, the Internet is clearer,
easier, and more familiar than HF radio.

I've also heard that innovation has become more difficult with the
increasing commercialization of the radio business.  (Personally, I
think there is some interesting work being done in software defined
radio in the amateur community.  I believe that's because once again a
tool has been invented that is powerful, but the uses of which aren't
obvious.  Also, the component pieces are relatively cheap and
relatively easy to work this.  This is similar to where radio was
during the "golden age" of amateur radio.)

In the case of the Internet (or the imagined magical wireless
internet), I think the key difference is that people see it as a tool
for getting the information they want.  I suspect that the provider of
such a thing will spend an immense amount of time trying to keep
people from doing what they want.  (How will the number of bored
teenagers who want to see porn compare with the number of staff
members trying to prevent that?)  With amateur radio, the number of
people who found it useful or interesting decreased as alternatives
became available.  With such a magical internet, I believe the issue
will be that they will constrain it until false positives mean that it
is no longer a useful tool to those trying to do work within the
stated goals.

Best,
Scott Alexander (AB2WF)