Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:36:16 -0700

From: Dana Spiegel [dana () nycwireless net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:24 PM
To: David Farber; ip
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    FCC wants a magic, porn-free wireless Internet

Everyone is talking about how the FCC is sticking its nose into
matters of thought and language regulation with Martin's free wireless
internet plan, but for me, there's an even bigger issue:

If a company is interested in providing free internet to everyone,
where are they going to make their money? This isn't a good samaritan
effort, its a business.

Best I can figure it, there's really only 2 ways that a company like
M2Z can build a profitable business providing free internet:

1) ADVERTISING - essentially the FCC is selling a license to the
highest bidder to create a nationwide advertising billboard, kinda
like riding the internet superhighway (though not all that super given
the speeds expected) crammed end to end with countless advertising
banners.

2) SELLING PERSONAL BROWSING/DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION - enticing people
to use the internet for free, and then collecting all sorts of
information about them and selling that information to anyone that
will buy it.

We need to seriously ask HOW such an initiative will be funded by the
winning company. I personally don't like the idea of giving our
spectrum away to a billboard advertiser or data sniffer (or both), and
especially limiting it to a single provider who will have a monopoly
without pressure from competitors to do the right things.

A far better solution would be to open up the spectrum under the same
or similar licensing regime as the 2.4Ghz range, and let anyone use
the spectrum. Then, if a company (or companies) want to set up such a
service, they can, but so can anyone else (like universities, schools,
community wireless organizations, concerned citizens) and provide real
options for getting nationwide wireless internet service.

--
Dana Spiegel
Executive Director

Read the Wireless Community blog: http://www.wirelesscommunity.info

NYCwireless is a non-profit organization that advocates for, and
enables the growth of free, public wireless networks