Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:38:56 -0700

From: mark seiden-via mac [mis () seiden com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:10 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

yes, the whole thing is annoyingly dysfunctional, particularly given
that i'm a current
cingular customer with a windows mobile phone i'm ready to throw at
the wall.

last night i had a similar experience at the burlingame, ca apple store.

a woman walking out said she only waited half an hour ("not bad").
there wasn't a long line.  but i hungrily decided to go to dinner first.

wrong.

when i got back, there was no line, and nobody was making eye contact.

when i finally got someone's attention, they said they were sold out
for the day.
there wasn't a sign or anything.   "if there isn't a line that means
we don't have any".

of course, there's no way to pay for one and come back the next day
and activate and
pick it up.  you need to make n trips, for an unknown and possibly
large value of n.

at apple.com, they have a way to check ("after 9pm") if your store
will have stock the
next day, but it's useless.

so i decided to try the att store instead.   the web site says "phone
first" to make sure about availability.
but when you call everyone is busy serving customers, so there's no
way to talk with anybody
at the store.   unless maybe they are sold out.