Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 02:14:35 -0700

From: Robert J. Berger [rberger () ibd com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:38 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks
Subject: Re: [IP] a personal rant on Apple and their customer nasty behavior

It seems that the main reason lines are so long/slow is they are
forcing everyone to do the activation in the store. This takes at
least 20 minutes sometimes longer per person.

I would guess the only reason to force activation in the store is to
protect ATT and Apple's recurring revenue stream. I.E. people can't
buy the iPhone, jailbreak it and then use a hack to use it on another
network.

But this is only able to happen because of the regulations that allow
locked phones in the  first place.

Of course I did wait in line for about an hour (plus another 20
minutes for activation) at the San Francisco Store on Saturday and got
mine.

I also gave my old phone to a family member. They could/would not do
the transfer / activation of the old phone to the new person. They
told me to go to the ATT Store to do that which was a big mistake.

It turns out that you can do the transfer/activation of the old phone
at home using iTunes with no problem.
And you still can get the old 2G iPhone package for the old phone with
bundled 200 SMS text messages when you do it that way.

Rob