Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A Tip for Overseas Travelers: Leave Your Cellphones Home

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:49:57 -0700

From: David Chessler [chessler () usa net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:21 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Fwd: [IP] A Tip for Overseas Travelers: Leave Your Cellphones Home

I disagree with this advice. If you have an unlocked GSM 3- or 4-band
cellphone from T-Mobile or AT&T, you can get a local chip in any country and
spend much less on local calls or in-europe calls.

AT&T does not willingly unlock its cellphones when last I checked, but there
are many people on the internet, including David Rowell, who will unlock them
for you.

I used a 3-band cellphone that I in England a few years
ago, and the Virgin Mobile English chip still seems to work -- and worked in
France last year.

International calls may be cheaper on the internet or by using a call-back
service.  But Email is even cheaper.