Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: We didn't need all that DRM after all??

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:19:16 -0700

From: Adam Tagert [atagert () andrew cmu edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:46 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:   We didn't need all that DRM after all??

Youtube isn't DRMed with a proprietary format.  The easiest way to save a
youtube video clip, or a video slip from many websites, is to have Real
Player installed.  I wouldn't call Real Networks a questionable source.  If
you don't want to have any software installed, then there several websites,
keepvid.com, www.videodl.org for example, that provide a direct download
link to the video. The format saved from youtube is none other than FLV,
which is a flash video file.  There are quite a few media players that can
play it, even if Microsoft Media Player cannot.

As to providing a download link,  the only service I have seen that does
provide one is vimeo.

Adam