Interesting People mailing list archives

DPI and my testimony to Congress today

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:44:33 -0700

From: David P. Reed [dpreed () reed com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:41 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip
Subject: DPI and my testimony to Congress today

Dave -

I testified before the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the
Internet today, regarding Deep Packet Inspection.  In case anyone is
interested, I posted my witness statement and some pointers to related
stuff on my blog at <http://www.reed.com/blog-dpr/?p=8>

As I note in my blog entry, the use of Deep Packet Inspection is
apparently a really hot area  of investment.  This distresses me a great
deal.  It may concern your readers as well. What gives the ISPs
(Charter, Embarq, BT, ...) the right to read every packet that every one
of their users sends, analyze the data, modify the responses, etc.?
Apparently, they either have no shame, or they feel the right to exploit
their customers to make money because they can.

- David