Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Talking to God on a Two Way Radio

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 05:47:02 -0700

From: Richard Bennett [richard () bennett com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 4:36 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Talking to God on a Two Way Radio

If Steve Jobs went to India looking for Zen Buddhism, he must have been
very disappointed as it's a Japanese phenomenon. India is a country
where one can find Hinduism, Vedanta, Islam, Jainism, Sikhism, and
Christianity, but precious little in the way of Buddhism outside of the
Tibetan refugee centers. Buddhism left India for China, SE Asia, Korea,
and Japan a thousand years ago, and hasn't had a strong presence there
since.

I spent 15 years going back and forth between America and an Indian
ashram where Vedanta (the philosophical form of Hinduism) was on the
menu, so I know something about these things.

RB