Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC and Comcast

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:57:35 -0700

From: Randall Webmail [rvh40 () insightbb com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 4:31 PM
To: dewayne () warpspeed com; David Farber
Subject: You have probably already seen this ...

FCC chief says Comcast violated Internet rules
7/11/2008, 5:45 a.m. EDT
By JOHN DUNBAR
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The head of the Federal Communications Commission said Thursday he will recommend that the nation's
largest cable company be punished for violating agency principles that guarantee customers open access to the Internet.

The potentially precedent-setting move stems from a complaint against Comcast Corp. that the company had blocked
Internet traffic among users of a certain type of "file sharing" software that allows them to exchange large amounts of
data.

"The commission has adopted a set of principles that protects consumers access to the Internet," FCC Chairman Kevin
Martin told The Associated Press late Thursday. "We found that Comcast's actions in this instance violated our
principles."

[SNIP]

<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/washington-0/1215743645107240.xml&storylist=washington>