Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC and Comcast

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:53:24 -0700

Why am I agreeing so much lately djf
_____________________________
From: jsq () internetperils com [jsq () internetperils com] On Behalf Of John S. Quarterman [jsq () quarterman org]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 5:09 PM
To: David Farber
Cc: John S. Quarterman; ip
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC and Comcast

For IP:

"The commission has adopted a set of principles that protects consumers acces
s to the Internet," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin told The Associated Press late
Thursday. "We found that Comcast's actions in this instance violated our prin
ciples."

[SNIP]

Paraphrase of what was in the [SNIP]:

And we're going to slap them sharply across the wrist.
Oh, wait!  You say Comcast is already moving to a different method
of stifling?  Well, we'll just wait to see how that works out, then,
won't we?

<http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/washington-0/1215743645107240.xm
l&storylist=washington>

I seldom agree with Scott Cleland, but when he said enforcement of the
FCC's net neutrality principles was "preposterous" he was spot on.

 http://riskman.typepad.com/peerflow/2008/07/comcast-p2p-stifling-fail-says-fcc-chair.html

If they meant them to be enforced, they would have made them rules.

-jsq