Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "S" is for Sneaky: The Slimy Path to Phone and Internet Taxes

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:09:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: January 2, 2008 5:19:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com, touch () isi edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: "S" is for Sneaky: The Slimy Path to Phone and Internet Taxes

This is precisely (one aspect) that makes the L.A. measure so
insidious, as I noted in my piece.  The proposal's pro argument says
that it doesn't create an Internet tax.  But that's only because
federal law currently prohibits such a tax.  At such a time as the
federal moratorium isn't renewed, the L.A. telecom tax (if approved
as worded) would *automatically* and permanently expand to cover
virtually all VoIP, Internet access services, etc. -- it's *very*
broadly written to cover data communications services ("except as
prohibited by other laws").  It's a stealth Internet tax, waiting
in the background like a trap.

Another nasty aspect of the proposal is that it's titled to try
entice voters to say "yes" for a lowering of the phone tax from 10%
to 9%, when in reality if they vote the proposal down the phone tax
(and stealth Internet tax) would likely vanish entirely, since
courts have already ruled the tax *illegal* without voter approval.

This in fact is the only reason that the city lowered the proposal
from 10% to 9%, so that they could put it on the ballot as a tax
"reduction" -- and hope that people would just vote based
on "reduction" in the title and not realize that a "no" vote could lead
to a 0% "tax" instead.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

- - -