Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Barcoding Life

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:09:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Magda <dmagda () ee ryerson ca>
Date: January 2, 2008 8:58:14 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Barcoding Life

For IP if you wish,

Daniel Janzen gave a talk at the Long Now Foundation a few years back. Search for his name (April 9th 02004 entry) for his talk:

        http://www.longnow.org/projects/seminars/

The first part of the talk is about bio-diversity, and then he goes into the "barcorder".

They use the COI mitochondrial gene for identifying things:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_barcoding