Interesting People mailing list archives

"S" is for Sneaky: The Slimy Path to Phone and Internet Taxes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 05:45:32 -0800

From: Lauren Weinstein [lauren () vortex com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:48 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: "S" is for Sneaky: The Slimy Path to Phone and Internet Taxes

        "S" is for Sneaky: The Slimy Path to Phone and Internet Taxes

                http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000350.html

Greetings and Happy New Year!  If you've ever wondered how low some
government officials might sink to try push through a tax that they
know is unpopular -- such as on telephone services and the Internet
for example -- you need look no further than the upcoming
presidential primary ballot here in L.A. for this coming February
5th.

Rushed onto the ballet is a little gem called Proposition S.  I
don't much mind when tax proposals are presented in an honest
manner, but Proposition S is ... well ... "instructive" is one word
that comes to mind.  The other words I might choose aren't
appropriate for this venue.

While the outcome of "S" will only directly affect those living in
Los Angeles, anyone might still wish to listen to the very short
audio piece (well under two minutes in length) that I've put
together as a hopefully useful -- and for me, emotionally
cathartic -- gesture toward the goal of a well-informed electorate.

After all, you never know when your own local politicos might try
the same ballot stunt in your neighborhood.

The audio presentation is called:

"'S' is for Sneaky: L.A.'s Telephone & Internet Tax Proposition"

MP3 Audio Version:
http://lauren.vortex.com/s-is-for-sneaky.mp3

YouTube Version (Audio Only):
http://lauren.vortex.com/sneaky-prop-s-youtube

Proposition S would almost be funny, if it wasn't such an embarrassment!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
   - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com