Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net - New York Times

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:28:13 -0800

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:01 AM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:     F.C.C. to Look at Complaints Comcast Interferes With Net - New York Times

Moral court again ...

Does this mean I can't share files with my neighbor because of the cost of peering with a remote provider? Will someone
judge that backing up over the net is not an appropriate use of the network? Am I not allowed to backup to peers?

Flat pricing reflects the actual costs when system management dominates any particular physical facility. ATT
understood this in the early 1980’s when figuring out the cost of phone services. But the reason we have flat rate
pricing on the Internet is that it is the only model that works when we can’t value bits out of context. This means
that we can only avail ourselves of capabilities that do not command a special premium – this is a consequence of the
end-to-end constraint. At first this means we can’t do much with the transport – but it was enough for applications
like email.

Over time, however, our ability to take advantage of inexpensive junk capacity has given us abundance – any path works
and we aren’t beholden to a provider’s attempt to charge us for the value of the bits. Efforts to sell premium bits run
into trouble because they can’t make promises over the entire path and we’ve become adept at working around local
scarcity.

I’ve been thinking about video over the network such as provisioning the network for 1080p. The problem is that such
requirements are procrustean and have little to do with human perception. Human perception is doesn’t correspond to
this measures. Bose succeeded in audio by working against perception not by preserving linear properties of sound.

At CES there were a number of demos scaling SD signals so you don’t see jaggies and get HD-like results. Some
applications like watching sports details may demand higher resolution but if the goal of television is to entertain
people after a hard day at work then why should we spend billions on a new infrastructure when we can provide 90% of
the value by letting people choose the kind of scaling and processing that they choose. You can see this dramatically
with sites like http://www.abc.com – if you have a high end processor and video board you get impressive video quality
and who knows or cares what the resolution is. I can choose HD if I have the capacity and probably do but if not will
soon as long as we allow the Internet Dynamic to work and don’t tie ourselves into arbitrary requirements. If nothing
else such promises make the network “valuable” and thus there is something that carriers can (try to) charge for
whether or not we want it!!

Unfortunately we are trying to build these kind of smarts into the network and thus locking ourselves into a very
expensive refit that delivers little incremental value and leaves us too worn out for the next stage of 4kx2k video –
if we so chose. But we can’t even choose 1080p today – we’ve barely deployed 1080i. An individual can’t choose their
definition quality over the telecom networks so must wait till the next expensive iteration.

Carriers justify their intervention because they seem to believe they can define our experience and thus force us to
wait for the trailing edge of technology. It’s another reason why 10 year old 1080p is still the future technology. And
even worse I find my HD set top box is very very buggy because they aren’t up to even today’s offerings! And they can
be upgraded incrementally which means a high capital cost in an uncertain market. Fortunately I do have an alternative
in using a PC and the IP transport.

Ultimately Network Neutrality is about MYOB – letting me decide how to use the facilities. Fortunately the Internet
dynamic has demonstrated that given a lot of choice we’ll find much value in what we can do with what we have now and
then drive the process from the edge. We are not beholden to arbitrary and misguided choice of technology from an
omniscient provider.

We already have abundance as the availability of prime time TV of the ‘net already shows – ironically now even a 1987
DSL connection give us the perception of high quality TV – so why spend billions just for an arbitrary standard that
doesn’t matter. If compression did matter a lot then why take some shows prepared using flash and send them as video –
we’d send the original very compact flash format as is done on the network

There are so many choices that why do we choose those that give us the least at the highest cost?

Today Brett’s attempt to promise a lot with very little capacity is the exception and mustn’t be used to justify moral
intervention. Fifteen years ago shared 10Mbps would have seemed abundant and the users would have found enough value to
justify more investment. But that investment should be in network commons – not lots of little partitioned fiefdom
networks. If you believe in any network affect above linear then partitioning networks into service-provider
infrastructures greatly limits the value without providing much effective competition.

In order to realize this value we must get beyond treating telecom as a very expensive infrastructure tied to arbitrary
and indefensible promises. Instead we need the opportunity discover value in what we have so we can drive the dynamic
that has given us Moore’s law hypergrowth. DSL has been protected from this law (a criminal violation?) and has been
moribund for 20 years. But the dynamic works anyway – as I noted a slow DSL line can now give us HD-like TV! Finally
Verizon is starting to up the speed but that’s only one factor and not the only one. The bigger factor is our ability
to innovate at the edge!

Of course this fixation on TV is misguided – as I keep pointing out lives can be saved with just a few bits of
information but our fixation on TV leaves us disconnected everywhere unless we can justify meeting  carrier’s arbitrary
price for their private networks which, as noted, are partitioned and thus the value is minimized against the whole.
And then the value to society is further reduced by purposefully limiting capacity to create value to the carrier.

Historically we’ve avoided taking externalities into account in setting policy because they are hard to determine and
the value of the network itself was sufficient. Today almost all the value is external but we still limit ourselves to
the value of the copper, glass and radios. And so we die.

As we see from Minitel – even when the carrier is forward looking and does something wonderful eventually the world
moves beyond their “vision”. A network operator cannot provide opportunity and, as we know, we no longer need to rely
on them. It’s far too easy to interconnect digital packet networks. As those who tried to prevent IM interconnect – the
hard part is keeping the networks isolated!

As to violating the ToS – this message violates Verizon’s ToS by saying bad things about the company. Their own router
violates the ToS by embedded a server. The ToS is about as meaningful as a parking lot stub that says that the operator
has no liability after using your car in crash tests. Network abuse is having a foreign company take my local ability
to communicate and forcing me to pay forever for a small capital investment – today $1k/house for gigabit fiber but
that will go down rapidly.

http://www.frankston.com/?Name=InternetDynamic
http://www.frankston.com/?name=VideoTippingPointNear
http://www.frankston.com/?name=VONRailroads