Interesting People mailing list archives

Comcast Response

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 06:22:04 -0800

From: Forde, Declan [Declan_Forde () cable comcast com]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 10:29 PM
To: David Farber
Subject: Comcast Response

Dave,

We have seen the flurry of posts about Comcast and e-mail blocking and customer communications.  I would like to take
this opportunity to provide Comcast's position on these comments.

As part our ongoing efforts to reduce spam, Comcast blocks Port 25 on those computers that have been identified as a
spam relay and are being exploited by spammers to send large volumes of unwanted email. The comments in the thread
suggest that we do not communicate with customers when we block Port 25. In fact, we send an email to the impacted
customer to let them know what has happened and provide instructions on how to easily switch to the more secure Port
587. In many cases, our customers are appreciative of this proactive approach to securing their computer.

It is also suggested that we do not provide any information on Comcast.net to assist customers with this issue. Please
take a look at the following FAQ which answers anticipated customer questions and provides a One Click Fix for our
customers to easily switch to Port 587: http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email118989#25

Blocking of Port 25 is a common practice among ISP's and it is endorsed by the FTC as an effective means to reduce spam
generated by zombies. Please see: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/spam/zombie/index.htm

We are targeting only known infected computers and do not block Port 25 for all customers. Blocking of port 25 is not
new for Comcast. We have been using this targeted approach for about 4 years and it continues to help reduce spam while
also minimizing the impact on our customers.

I hope these comments are helpful.

Declan

Declan Forde
Snr. Director of Security
Comcast

This message and any attachments to it contain information exclusively for intended recipients. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender to report the error and then delete all copies of this message from your
system.