Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: BEST LAW MONAY CAN BUY -- Senate votes Telecom immunity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:48:22 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Newmedia () aol com
Date: February 13, 2008 8:21:29 AM EST
To: paul () robichaux net, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: BEST LAW MONAY CAN BUY -- Senate votes Telecom immunity

Paul:

Correct. When the anti-trust case was brought against AT&T, I'm told that DoD "blocked" it out of concerns that the "old-boy" relationships with Ma Bell would be jeopardized.

NSTAC was created to make sure that all the other telecom (and many other technology) companies would have a similar commitment. NSTAC has formally brought these companies into national security initiatives and projects and is the "grand-daddy" of many other similar advisory committees.

I first learned about them when Microsoft was settling its own anti- trust case in 2000. Craig Mundie gave an important speech at NSTAC and later joined the committee.

Mark Stahlman
New York City

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.