Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: definitive comment on Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:18:36 -0800

From: Andrew C Burnette [acb () acb net]
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:13 PM
To: David Farber; jmsaul () ctconsultancy com
Subject: Re: [IP] definitive comment on Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

Dave, Joe,

It also follows that "all privacy bets are off" when any data processing
goes across national or jurisdictional borders. If work can be
outsourced at a cost effective rate, there's no easy way to determine
what country's laws, treaties, or lack thereof meet the intent if HIPAA.

I recently picked up and paid for a prescription for my daughter
(amoxillin for strep throat) at costco, used my Aetna HSA debit card to
pay for it.  By the time I arrived home 20 minutes later, the following
companies had played a part in the transaction, and it was fully visible
in my aetna and related accounts:

1- costco
2- telepay (I may have the name incorrect, but one of the prescrip copay
clearinghouses)
3- medco (my insurance companies prescrip benefit admin)
4- Chase Bank (unlabeled provider of my HSA account and visa debit card)
5- Aetna

Bet there's a few interesting points of metadata collection. The idea of
a "medical health score" is nothing new either.

Best regards,
Andy Burnette