Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:08:59 -0800

From: Mary Shaw [mary.shaw () gmail com]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 8:40 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: Lawrence L. Andrew
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

I have.  They find it enormously disconcerting, because taking time to read all that fine printe messes up their
workflow.

Also, some office are saving trees by asking me to sign something that says I have been provided a copy of the privacy
statement.  One time I told them I couldn't sign this because they had not given me a copy of the statement.  They
looked *really* disconcerted, then proceeded as if I had signed.  But I was an established patient there.

They don't get my SSN directly, but they get my insurance numbers (which they actually need to get reimbursed) and
those probably lead to my SSN.

Mary Shaw