Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: definitive comment on Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:47:32 -0800

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 9:41 AM
To: David Farber; ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   definitive comment on Are Google/MSFT bound by HIPAA?

DO NOT DISPLAY MY NAME OR EMAIL, PLEASE

Bet there's a few interesting points of metadata collection.

I've worked for years in this field, and the writer is correct.

There are several metadata points that collect information, and cross-
referencing these (which was done by my former employer) permits a
surprising depth of information, both longitudinally over time and in
depth of diagnosis and treatment.  Most especially, it permits the
tracking of individuals (while not knowing specific patient names in the
cases I've personally seen) to a surprising degree - right through the
anonomyzing protocols of HIPAA.  There are only a few companies that
"process" your transaction when you go to the clinic/doctor/hospital/
pharmacy, so paying cash (literally) is about the only way to avoid
being part of this system, or having your data swimming in this pool.

So far, the largest users (i.e. purchasers) of this data are the
pharmaceutical companies, who use it to track the use of their products,
as well as tracking the doctors who are writing prescriptions for their
products.