Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:17:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis:Law and Technology Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com >
Date: December 10, 2008 9:49:34 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

With respect, this appears to be the kind of thinking that got us into the mess. How does making someone responsible for the criminal activities of a relatively untouchable other person make any sense at all either from a legal or moral or technical perspective?

To use the very flawed swimming pool analogy, this is akin to making Tony responsible for someone from Venezuela air-dropping toxic chemicals into his pool while illegally overflying his country. I would expect that if Tony thinks this is a good legislation to pass, that he would be first in favour of automated roads, speed controls on cars outside of automated roads, mandatory weight limits on people and banning the production of tobacco on any local land.

Applying 'lets fix it here' just doesn't work on a global problem. Please, let's not waste any energy thinking that we can magically pass a law and pretend that the internet isn't global. To be more specific, if we could mandate that the owner of a computer in Canada is responsible for the damages done by someone in Russia to computers in Ghana we would have solved all the worlds' problems long ago. To think that passing a law in any one country will work without the rest is simply not thinking through the problem enough.

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec