Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MUST READ NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:57:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mary Shaw" <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: December 10, 2008 9:23:35 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: NYT article on the (ever-more-sophitsticated) bot wars

There's an important difference between a home swimming pool and a home computer: the homeowner's ability to comprehend what it means to be responsible.

We expect the public at large to know enough about the germ theory of disease to refrain from exchanging bodily fluids if they're contagious. We're upset (if not actually surprised) when they ignore this, and we want to hold them responsible.

We expect the public at large to know enough about Newtonian mechanics to understand that a gun accelerates a small bullet to a high speed, so the bullet applies great force when it hits something. We're upset (if not actually surprised) when they ignore this, and we want to hold them responsible.

We expect the public at large to know enough about child psychology and the physiology of drowning to understand that a swimming pool can be an attractive nuisance. We're upset (if not actually surprised) when they ignore this, and we want to hold them responsible.

However, the computing profession has not equipped the public at large with a rough-and-ready version of a theory of computer security. The computing profession might expect the public at large to know enough enough to secure home computers, but the rest of the population does not. Therefore, no one else gets upset when they don't apply this understanding that they don't have, so no one but us computer geeks wants to hold them responsible.

The other piece of magical thinking in play here is the comprehension of the typical home computer owner of almost everything related to the home computer, especially security and system administration. Until the computing profession provides a comprehensible theory (and comprehensible tools for applying it) that explain the risks and responsible actions, it's unreasonable to expect the public at large to act responsibly.

Mary Shaw