Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: David Pogue Roasts the Blackberry Storm for Thanksgiving

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:10:27 -0500

December 4, 2008
FROM THE DESK OF DAVID POGUE
Readers React to David Pogue’s Review of the BlackBerry Storm
By DAVID POGUE
<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/technology/personaltech/04pogue-email.html?_r=2&bl&ex=1228539600&en=4750d6cf8c5bac73&ei=5087%0A >
I learned something last week.

In my Times print column, I reviewed the BlackBerry Storm, by far the worst product Research in Motion has ever produced. I had problems with its concept, problems with its clicky touch screen, problems with its speed, and above all, problems with bugs (which the company refused to acknowledge, even when I sent them videos of the phone acting up and even locking up).

About 100 readers wrote to say that they had bought the Storm and now regretted it. Some samples:

"I want to thank you for validating the experiences I've had with my new BlackBerry Storm. It has been an absolute nightmare. As soon as I return to New York, I will take advantage of Verizon's 30-day return policy and get rid of this monstrosity."

"I rushed out last week to try the new Storm--and was frustrated, confused and bewildered by the device. I couldn't use the browser, and was even hard pressed to make a phone call."

"My Storm was like something from a Stephen King novel: possessed of its own mind. Touching or selecting on the screen highlighted something totally unrelated. The lag in switching from horizontal to vertical almost made it seem that the screen was deciding its own when to shift."

"One of my co-workers, who is almost militant in his disdain for all things Apple, couldn't wait to get his hands on a Storm. Lo & behold, 30 minutes later, he was trying to figure out a way to get his money back."