Interesting People mailing list archives

Amazing and appalling at the same time -- finding excitement in enabling technologies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 03:05:28 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 4, 2008 9:43:35 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Amazing and appalling at the same time -- finding excitement in enabling technologies

This touches upon a larger and serious problem with infrastructure in general. There is no glory in making the building blocks – everyone wants to ride the value chain to glory and profits. This is why our home and infrastructure still use wired logic.

But then it was like that in the good old days when only nerds found it exciting to write a prime number program. In the 60’s what else could we do with computers – prime numbers and copying big decks of a few hundred binary cards so we could run a 10 line SNOBOL program.

These efforts weren’t really that valuable in themselves but for many of us they were just practice to what we do with computing today.

But even today it’s hard to get the hardware building blocks. Sure, we have things like Lego Logo but the value is in the projects as an end in themselves – we don’t get the pro version out of which we can build more stuff. We also have basic stamps and other pieces of hardware but it’s hard to take all that stuff and make it into a light switch. And why would anyone do anything when the marketplace for the gear are electricians who don’t like this software stuff.

Perhaps I’m fortunate because my first real job was working online systems in the 60’s creating tools for users so they could do their own analysis using generic timesharing systems. Multics was another step in this process (along with its step-child – Unix).

What it gave me was an appreciation for creating tools for others to use to create solutions. It’s why I was excited about home networking as IP level connectivity and not talking toasters.

Home control is not about trophy homes – it’s about being able to give my neighbor the ability to dim the light over a shared driveway late at night. Yet how many people on this list find that to be an exciting applications – and how many are thinking that there couldn’t be a duller person in the world that someone who finds that exciting?

This why the bit commons is so important ... it unlocks the value chain!