Interesting People mailing list archives

WORTH READING amazing and appalling at the same time

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:01:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sunil Garg" <sunil () sunilgarg com>
Date: December 4, 2008 9:24:15 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: change () cs washington edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: amazing and appalling at the same time

This is veering off-topic in relation to Bob's original post, but in any case:

I think choosing to participate in ICTD research is really a matter of personal interest. I suspect that the people you refer to as "high caliber" are ones who were high performers in CS undergrad, which generally is theory heavy in that graphics, algorithms, and programming languages are subject areas of focus, so it's natural that they would be drawn to those fields.

ICTD, including telemedicine, is extremely interdisciplinary, where successful projects involve fields ranging from ethnography and psychology, HCI, etc., for project design, to techincal skills for implementation work in extremely resource-constrained environments. On top of that, it's a very new field, so bringing all of that together is a daunting task in working towards a PhD thesis, especially in CS, and from what I've seen requires the initiative and dedication that come with strong personal interest in the field.

And for the record, at least at the University of Washington, where I'm a CS undergrad, there do exist high-caliber professors and students working on ICTD issues. For reference: http://change.cs.washington.edu/

Regards,
Sunil