Interesting People mailing list archives

curious to know what people think about http://bb4us.net/index.html

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 02:37:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 4, 2008 10:52:01 PM EST
To: <frank () coluccio net>, "'Karl Bode'" <Karl () dslreports com>, "'Bruce Kushnick'" <bruce () newnetworks com>
Cc: <oia () lists bway net>, <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [OIA] curious to know what people think    about   http://bb4us.net/index.html

Same old. I fear that focusing on broadband will cause us to miss the Internet in the same way the Minitel kept France from embracing the Internet. I remember how jealous I as of Minitel just like people are jealous of “high speed broadband” today.

The problem is not that it’s another government effort to do us good but that it’s premised on faux TV and not on connectivity. Why do we need to defer connectivity and saddle ourselves with a funding model that is just another debt we can never repay? And for what – more video content? Why do I need high speed for health and safety when a few BPS can save lives now?

Remember that the Internet and telecom are unrelated business – did we ask the railroads to build and operate the interstate highway system?

I’ve already stated my opinion that broadband is the antithesis of the Internet – especially “high speed broadband” which emphasis dependence upon a providers speed thus creating a billable service. The problem is this service-based funding model and the fixation on speed.

What seems to be missing is the recognition that the ability to assume connectivity is far more important than speed. Speed is trivially easy – just decouple market elements. I use DSL as the example of Moore’s law held hostage for twenty years. Remember that we’re talking about copper but telecom forces us to think pairs and all the limitations thereof.

We aren’t using the inherent capacity we have today in existing copper and fiber and radios so why do we have an agenda to have a strategy to petition to beg to get more of what we don’t use and not assure that we can be connected everywhere all the time and that we can all extend coverage without having to petition a carrier to convince them they will make money from it.

In http://frankston.com/?name=IPPikes I write about the effort to return to the good old days when men with pikes monetized each highway out of context. (For those on OIA you might also appreciate my problems with VZW).

What we need to do is liberate the value chain instead of redoubling the efforts to assure that the values stays in the infrastructure and does not escape.

Broadband is a business model for video distribution. We ask for more because we confuse it with connectivity. Remember that its predecessor was ISDN and that failed.

I did home networking as a response to the idea that we needed more ISDN – I said “NO!!” – that while ISDN was nice the problem is the ability to connect and not the price in itself. Admittedly ADSL (and Broadband) gave Microsoft the incentive to embrace home networking but it was about 24x7 connectivity more than speed. So there was collateral good but it wasn’t intrinsic good.

Instead of Federal funding what we need is liberation from telecom and nonexclusive community ownership of physical local facilities with all the RF, Fiber and radios just contributing to the commons. As local owners of the physical facilities encouraged to find maximum value (rather than metering) we’ll see price/performance improvement beyond our ability to imagine – as if we hadn’t seen it before whenever we’ve had a chance to liberate the market.

But broadband is an over-defined retro solution that can thwarts this dynamic.