Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: maybe not djf AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:25:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 16, 2008 1:31:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: PLEAE WITHHOLD MY NAME Re: [IP] Re: maybe not djf AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

For IP if you wish, but without my name on this one please, as I have
first hand past experience in IT in the adult industry.

Aside from other sites large and small, major porn site operators use
google analytics.  The click streams in that business are already
overwhelming enough without having to run data warehousing servers to
crunch user paths through your site on your own servers.  Which of
course is another reason many large sites use it. The "free" part then
is really saving some money above and beyond the price of software to
run your own in house web analytics, the hardware and time to run some
of the number crunching can get high pretty quickly.

So just remember, those dirty pictures you looked at might be sending
your clicks into google's click logs too.  Maybe a browser addon that
alerts to google analytics tracking on a page would be an idea for
someone to make (if it doesn't exist already).

-Name withheld