Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:02:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Seth Breidbart" <sethb () panix com>
Date: August 15, 2008 4:49:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

"Bob Poortinga" <ip () k9sql us> wrote:

 I am unsure as how much of this
data is uploaded to Google, but, based on my personal knowledge and
experience, the data the Toolbar provides is used by Google to index
pages which have no external links.  This is how Google indexes the
"hidden" web.

Based on my experience, it doesn't.  I created a web page (with no
incoming links), and had several people with Google Toolbar go read it.
The unique "word" on that page still does not show up in a search.

(I won't post the URL here because this list is probably archived on the
web, and that would provide an external pointer.)

Seth