Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:02:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Fields <ip20398470293845 () aquick org>
Date: August 16, 2008 3:11:00 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Cc: dave () farber net, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>, "'Adam Fields'" <ip20398470293845 () aquick org >
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    AT&T the Web Spy? -- And Their Big Google Lie

For IP, if you wish:

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:23:19AM -0400, Bob Frankston wrote:
There's an option of whether or not to subscribe to page ranking. Is the
information sent back if you are not participating in page ranking?

It appears that you have to manually turn off every feature that sends
urls to Google in order to accomplish that, although it's still a bit
vague about whether there are other functions that don't qualify as
"features" that do send urls to Google automatically.

"Certain optional Toolbar features operate by sending Google the
addresses or other information about sites when you visit them. Web
History, PageRank, and Safe Browsing in Enhanced Mode all work this
way. In addition, if you use Safe Browsing, when Google warns you
about a suspicious site we may also log that site's URL and whether
you accepted, rejected, or closed the warning message. We will let you
know when you are enabling a feature that automatically sends page
addresses to Google, and you can turn these features off at any time."

http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/static.py?page=privacy.html

It's unclear to me what benefit you'd get out of using the Toolbar
with those features disabled, and it seem that at that point, you
might as well just uninstall it.

--
                                - Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.morningside-analytics.com ] .. Latest Venture
[ http://www.confabb.com ] ................ Founder