Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Leopard upgrade woes

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:17:16 -0500

I just did 4 simple updates and it worked like a charm for me at least. djf -- mac pro, imac, 15" intel mac and a 12" unit.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: November 4, 2007 12:19:28 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Leopard upgrade woes

I highly recommend the PDF booklet "Take Control of Upgrading to Leopard":
http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-upgrading.html
It cost $10 but its worth it if you have any concerns or just want to know the best practices for doing the upgrade.

But the bottom line is pretty much what Aleecia said:

BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!!! (use something like Superduper ( http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/) or Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) are free for disk cloning) These will make bootable disk copies to an external USB or Fireware Drive. (Well the USB drive might not actually be bootable, but it would be a clone and will work for restoring after an Erase and Install)

You can do the "Archive and Install" which copies all the config stuff to your existing drive and then does a fresh and clean install of the OS. Then after the install you can automatically get your environment back to pretty much the way it was before and get back to work.

But better, (assuming that you made the full clone backup of your drive and you made sure it worked by booting the external drive!) is to do the "Erase and Install". That completely erases your drive in the computer and makes a pristine "factory fresh" install on your hard drive. At the end of the install you are given the option to copy all your apps and configurations for any users on the old setup that is on your backup drive into the new install. You can then basically get back to work (or really spend your time playing with all the new Leopard features).

DON"T DO THE BASIC UPGRADE. People who are having problems are the ones that did the easy upgrade option. This mushes in the new Leopard with all the crud you have accumulated in your system, preferences, Library, kernel extensions and so on. I feel dirty just thinking about it...

Just don't forget to do the backup, maybe even twice to two different external disks before you do any install...

And then get another drive and start using Time Machine to do all your backups.For the next release of OSX you'll be able to use Time Machine to do your restore after the Erase and Install upgrade... (Don't erase the backups you did before the Leopard Upgrade until you are sure everything is working on your new Leopard)

Also as Aleecia said if you are using FileVault... You have to disable it to do the backups and then do the Erase and Install or to do the Archive and Install. Personally I would not encrypt my whole drive with FileVault... If you are paranoid (or they really are out to get you) encrypt just the files you are worried about...IMHO

Rob