Interesting People mailing list archives

Leopard upgrade woes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:06:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Aleecia M. McDonald" <aleecia () aleecia com>
Date: November 3, 2007 6:19:30 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Leopard upgrade woes

Perhaps I can save the mac owners on IP several hours of their lives.

Apple's upgrades have been flawless for so many years that I've grown to expect smooth sailing. Not this time. Some folks have trouble because their accounts don't appear [1] while I am having trouble because I cannot log in [2]. Apple's fix [3] does let me change my password but does not resolve the problem (perhaps due to interactions with FileVault, unclear.)

Tips:
- There appears to be a patch already; I missed it by mere hours [4]. Make sure you grab the most recent OS patches before you upgrade. - Anecdotal evidence points to archive and install as a more successful path than a straight upgrade. Sometimes running an archive & install after a straight upgrade will fix things, too. - If I had this to do over again I would reset my user accounts to short passwords (under 8 characters,) run the upgrade, and then set them to something more secure again. And yes, I should reset my passwords more frequently.
        - As always, MAKE A FULL BACKUP before you upgrade your OS.

While I have a lot of other work I *really* wanted to be doing right now at least I did not lose data. I wish I could just do a clean install, get my work done, and worry about migrating all data later but that is not an option with FileVault. Some folks even suggest turning off FileVault if you want to migrate data [5] but that soaks up a lot of time and does not (yet at least) appear to be a wide- spread problem.

And if possible, it might make sense to wait another week or so before upgrading.

        Aleecia

[1] http://www.macfixitforums.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=leopard&Number=836403&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

[2] http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1202129&tstart=0

[3] http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306840