Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:25:44 -0500

I disagree  with jamming period/ djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: November 4, 2007 9:18:11 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, dfarber () cs cmu edu
Subject: Re: [IP] Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal

This is a very interesting topic which I'm sure will be around for a long time or until it's properly addressed.

The problem of inconsiderate cell phone users goes well beyond that of being a simple nuisance. My wife is a bank manager and regularly complains about the cell phone use behavior of her customers. Her bank has a large number of customers each day. Despite 9 teller windows in constant operation, lines are often 20+ minutes deep. It is very common for customers to stand it line literally shouting at someone on the other end of a conversation while using their cell phone, using profanity and or speaking in an aggressive way, causing all around them to feel uncomfortable. In one case, a man shouting into his cell phone using foul language was confronted by another customer, this resulted in an altercation and a physical assault which required police intervention.

Then there's the impact to the services the bank provides. It's common for a customer enthralled in a conversation to arrive at the teller window and stand there refusing to perform his/her transaction while all those behind them in line wait for the conversation to end before they can receive their services. Think of the impact this has on the lives of the 30 to 50 people behind them.

She has posted signs which state "No Cell Phones Allowed" but they're regularly ignored. As she says, what can I do? I ask them to turn off their phone, if they refuse I can't call the police with such a complaint, If you do call the police, they never arrive.

I was recently at a Pizzeria and noticed a no cell phone sign at the counter. During a lull in business, I asked the cashier about it, she said

'People will wait in line, get to the counter and want to continue to talk shushing me if I attempt to get there attention. Then, they haven't thought about what they want so they have to stand there and read the sign and think about their meal while everyone waits', she said.

I asked, does the sign help?  No, people just ignore it she replied.

While some claim cell phones don't impact driver safety, Two years ago I was on the other end of a conversation when the cell phone user had an accident while talking to me. They ran into the rear of the car in front of them because they were focused on the conversation and not the traffic. They openly admit that if they hadn't been on the phone, the accident would not have happened. Ironically, it was my wife.

Think of all the lost productivity due to personal cell phone use or cellular IM use, think of the fights, frustrations, loss of enjoyment and loss of time due to inconsiderate cell phone use. Would short range jammers really be that bad?

If a restaurant had a jammer and a functioning land line for emergencies, what would be the loss? If someone really needed to make a business call, they could simply walk outside as they should be doing anyway.

Other countries allow the use of low power cellular jammers in businesses and their society hasn't collapsed, perhaps it's time for the US to come up to speed with technology and do the same.