Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 06:17:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: March 13, 2007 12:53:20 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users

Dave, et al,

the "rumored" soft limit for comcast is 600GBytes/month, or just shy of continuous 2Mbps the entire month. A few years back, it was just shy of 100Gbytes/month. You'd be hard pressed to find any colo providers who will transit 600Gbytes in a month for $40. Bellsouth's CTO has been quoted the average DSL user typically consumes around 2Gbytes/month. You can readily see the difference between the two types of users.

Ms. Lee is either running continuous p2p traffic, or has a completely infested machine (not implausible, I've seen infected machines generate as much as 40Mbps at a time).

The way to get off the hook [usually] is to pay them an extra $10/mo for the higher rate service and they'll generally leave you alone. Afterall, another single Mbps costs them about that much.

Other providers handle it a bit differently. "FIOS" requires use of a MoCa (rg-6, coax) connected router, no choice given. fast router, but puny (1k) NAT/state table, so if you p2p, bittorrent, etc, you effectively deny yourself service (call it a self inflicted DoS attack). You'll be unable to surf the web, read or send email, etc until the 3-4 minute timeout of any particular NAT table entry takes place.

In my home, with a couple laptops, desktops, etc, just doing the normal dns lookups, web surfing, email (IMAP) checks, etc, burn up a good 400-500 entries in the NAT table at a given time. One usenet session download, or bittorrent, and game over in terms of usefulness of the connection (note, each new TCP session or UDP transaction occupies a [NAT] state table slot). Pretty creative way to clamp down on heavy users ;-) You can even call it a neutral network and be technically accurate in that statement.

of course, if you change the router into a bridge, put your own 'nat box' or router behind it that handles more connections, then you bypass the issue entirely. In other words, no complaints here. I run an opensource freebsd firewall on an old pIII 500mhz machine. (http:// www.pfsense.com to be precise; yes, I contribute a few dollars to projects as good as that one) and can easily pull in 22Mbps (and 8k nat/state table entries) on the 20/5 service I subscribe to.

cheers,
andy

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now