Interesting People mailing list archives

Hidden "cost" of digitization of resources

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:53:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <PLEVY () citizen org>
Date: March 13, 2007 1:42:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Hidden "cost" of digitization of resources

Interesting and quite long article in the Times Business Section on Sunday, beginning page about one of the downsides of digitization of books and similar printed resources. The thesis is that as we come to expect sources to be available digitally, and thus to rely on what we can find and search that way, those sources that are NOT digitized are lost to cultural memory. And, despite what seems to be the vast quantity or material being scanned for inclusion in digital libraries, much more cannot be scanned because it is the wrong size, or because it is not deemed economically feasible to scan them....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/10/business/yourmoney/11archive.html? _r=1&oref=slogin

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.