Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:08:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Craig Partridge <craig () aland bbn com>
Date: June 1, 2007 9:32:29 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Andrew Hunt <andy () pragprog com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

I try hard to produce books and related materials that are actually
useful to practitioners in the field, and every week for the last
eight years I get mail thanking us for our efforts, and asking, "why
don't they teach this stuff in school?"

And that's a good question.  Why not, indeed?

Because it costs money that universities aren't normally prepared/able
to invest.

Context: I've had teaching positions at three of the top 10 computer
science programs in the country. My teaching style reflects the undergrad
education I got, which if one were to summarize in a sentence runs
"You don't understand the concept until you've produced a clean,
concise, maintainable program that implements the concept."
[Which is still some distance from what I believe Andy Hunt's trying to teach
but is on the path.]

So I teach courses in which the students write programs so they can
truly master the material.  I average a program every two weeks.
Programs tend to run 20 pages in length and I like to get assignments
back before the new one goes in.

150 students times 20 pages is 3,000 pages to grade (and to give really
good feedback you have to read every page -- not just test the code).

Experience suggests this requires one grader for every 20 to 30
students.  Some top schools will give that to you (but you often
have to apply pressure).  Most schools won't or can't.  And if they
don't -- you can't do labor intensive teaching like this.

Craig Partridge
craig () bbn com