Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:25:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Adams <jadams01 () sprynet com>
Date: June 3, 2007 12:11:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Andrew Hunt <andy () pragprog com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

From: Andrew Hunt <andy () pragprog com>

We do not need more "computer scientists." We need some, certainly, but not a lot. Some folks to teach, some folks for compiler design, and we're done. Most of what you learn in a typical CS curriculum is not actually useful in the day-to-day world of commercial programming, hence the OP's observation that "what they learned in college was crap." No, it's not crap--- it's just not applicable most of the time.

What we need are software engineers. Some colleges have started offering Software Engineering degrees which cover at least the basics of getting functioning software out the door successfully. Many of these programs are still lacking, but it's a start.

I wonder--do you feel the same way about physicists versus mechanical/ electrical/civil engineers? Chemists versus chemical engineers?

I'm not sure what disturbs me more (and I'm speaking as someone wishes he'd had a graduate program in software engineering available to him): The idea that computing science is a solved field--"Some folks to teach, some folks for compiler design, and we're done"--or the idea that what "we" (we who?) need is more education tailored to the narrow interests of employers. I don't think it's the job of universities to turn themselves into vo-tech schools (though adding two-year degrees with that sort of focus is a fine idea, especially if passage between the two tracks is made respectable), and I don't think employers have a right to expect entry-level positions to be filled by people who sit down and go straight to work.

When I made a transfer inside my first technical employer, it was pretty well standard that everyone who came onto our team had a six- month breaking in period before being put into the on-call rotation. That's a big part of why that team never, ever lost any customer data and never, ever suffered any permanent data corruption--only once in two years did I see a disk controller puke into the data, and we got that fixed by the end of a long, long night. Bypassing that burn-in period is a prime example of the sort of short-term false economy that's ripping the guts out of my daughter's future.

All the best,

        John A
        http:/www.arkansawyer.com/wordpress/