Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 15:24:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Hunt <andy () pragprog com>
Date: June 3, 2007 1:41:16 PM EDT
To: John Adams <jadams01 () sprynet com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: U.S. colleges retool programming classes - Yahoo! News

On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:11 PM, John Adams wrote:

I wonder--do you feel the same way about physicists versus mechanical/electrical/civil engineers? Chemists versus chemical engineers?

Not my field, so I can't comment. This is my field, and I see far too many folks who might score well on the theory of finite automata, but have never used *any* version control system, or debugged a non- trivial program, or interviewed a real person to elicit requirements.

I'm not sure what disturbs me more (and I'm speaking as someone wishes he'd had a graduate program in software engineering available to him): The idea that computing science is a solved field--"Some folks to teach, some folks for compiler design, and we're done"--or the idea that what "we" (we who?) need is more education tailored to the narrow interests of employers.

It's not a narrow interest by any means. I'm talking about basic fundamentals common across individual language technologies and disparate areas of applications.

And in fact, from what I hear, many universities have done away with some very valuable, generic courses -- topics such as assembly language, or survey of programming languages that cover Lisp, Erlang, Smalltalk, and other mental weightlifting. That stuff teaches you to *think*, and yet people tell me it's not commonly offered any more. Why not? Because it's hard to grade, as the OP suggested?

I don't think it's the job of universities to turn themselves into vo-tech schools

And why is it, that whenever the specter of practical application enters into the discussion, academics always fall back on that "we're not a votech school" argument?

I'm not suggesting teaching the latest point-release of Java, or how to use the latest commercial tool set or popular IDE. I *am* suggesting teaching undergrads fundamental theories and techniques to construct non-toy software programs with other people. Is that so much to ask? Is that not a reasonable basis to teach *any* engineer who will be involved in software in some way, much as the slide rule used to be?

Bypassing that burn-in period is a prime example of the sort of short-term false economy that's ripping the guts out of my daughter's future.

No one said anything about by-passing on-the-job burn-in. You'll always need that. But those few months aren't enough to play catch- up on all the topics missed in the official curricula.

I submit that the prime example of short-term false economy lies in churning out graduates who cannot create accurate, reliable, robust software programs. (Now that's fairly wide brush, and I do know of some real top-notch programs at some schools who are turning out dynamite folks. But there's far too many of the other kind.)

Regards,

/\ndy