Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: face recognition flop why do I not believe this

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:34:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brad Templeton <btm () templetons com>
Date: July 27, 2007 9:20:53 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: face recognition flop why do I not believe this

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 06:18:56PM -0400, David Farber wrote:
Discussing the merits of a biometric system in terms of only either the
FAR or FRR is misleading, to put a generous face on it.

In addition, while these systems are flawed today, it is hard not to concede they will get better with time, and in not too long become quite usable and superior to humans. We need to figure out what to do about them based on that not-too-distant assumption, as well as worrying about whether they can
be workably used today.

One particularly disturbing realization is that the superior facial recognition of the future will be able to reach back into the past by scanning old recordings. Storage is cheap. As we start logging the data on cameras found on street corners, in ATMs, in shops, for traffic congestion etc. we will make it possible for the computers of the future to build a complete map of where everybody was, at any
time, today.  Not just in the future.