Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Krugman On the Connectivity Power Shift

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:15:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Lynch <dan () lynch com>
Date: July 25, 2007 11:54:46 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: jg45 () mac com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Krugman On the Connectivity Power Shift

"Greed" is the answer to why the ideal does not arise easily.  The other
side of that is "Free Ride". The greed of the incumbents stems from basic human nature. (I'd like that to change, but I am not holding my breath.)
Greed also gets us innovation as a benefit.  Unchecked greed gets us the
below mentioned things like global climate change and inferior
infrastructure. The other side of the coin is the free ride. New things are built on top of old things. Like the Internet was built on top of the phone voice system. MacDonalds was build on top of the US Freeway system. The difference is that the phone companies think they deserve to get a huge
cut of the Internet "value add", but the road owners (taxpayers mostly)
don't seem to want a cut of "free french fries" because they built the
roads. Anyway, innovation has to rid on top of something old and thus get a "free ride" to get rolling. The old infrastructure players also are trying to stop or cripple things like fixed wireless in order to keep collecting their tolls. It is all complex. It usually takes a generation to depose
the old order.  We are half way there.  Is the glass half full or half
empty?  Depends on who you are.

Dan