Interesting People mailing list archives

Secret Squirrels?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:58:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross () stapleton-gray com>
Date: July 24, 2007 12:56:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Secret Squirrels?

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is commissioning construction of a SCIF (Secure Compartmented Information Facility)?? Al Qaeda recruiting racoons or something?

http://www.fbo.gov/spg/DOI/FWS/CGSWO/973107Q036/SynopsisP.html

"The US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Conservation Training Center (NCTC), Shepherdstown, WV intends to convert a room at the facility into a SCIF meeting space. Potential Vendors are required to provide a design and cost estimate based on information provided with the solicitation and the scheduled walk through meeting on August 8, 2007 at 10:00am. The room upon completion will meet all of the required National Security Agency SCIF standards."

I can imagine a number of scenarios, I guess, from leaching budget from one agency to cover another, to "entrepreneurial" efforts to make use of excess facilities by renting to other agencies, but I can't imagine a lot of reasons for Fish & Wildlife to use a one itself.

As a metacomment, I'm seeing a lot of solicitations with very tight deadlines, e.g., this one came out today, it's got a (presumably necessary) meeting for vendors in two weeks, which doesn't much allow for anyone who hasn't already got this on the radar to respond.

Ross

----
Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D.
Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.