Interesting People mailing list archives

nothing new here (Re: A new class of network vulnerability???)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:29:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Christian Kuhtz <christian () kuhtz com>
Date: July 25, 2007 12:15:56 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: nothing new here (Re: [IP] A new class of network vulnerability???)

Dave,

so, I'm not sure I follow here, but given that I live and breathe wireless LANs in my day job, I feel compelled to respond to the previous poster.

This is wireless we're talking about. Unlicensed spectrum in the 2.4 GHz ISM & GHz 5.8 band. Once you pass regulatory muster for the radio equipment, virtually everything else is fair game. And what is observed / contemplated here is just a fact of life in this business. It is up to manufacturers (and operators) to define requirements and evolve to manage this inevitable part of our business. There is no cure per se. And this is far from the only issue.

The countermeasure for issues like the one that appears to be at the cause of the issue experienced at Duke is in well designed equipment and infrastructure design choices which manage harmful traffic (and the definition of harmful really is a deployment and operator specific question and the answers vary greatly).

And I think there are still some questions outstanding as to what exactly happened at Duke within the network infrastructure. That is in addition to what is published at

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4436.txt

for the actual mechanism blamed for this symptom, Cisco's security advisory at

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20070724-arp.shtml

and finally the actual bug report (only available to Cisco support contract holders) at

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do? method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsj50374

or

http://tinyurl.com/2d3ofy

In closing, for anyone to call this a security issue is a bit of a stretch from my vantage point and is unaware of wireless operation in unlicensed bands.

Best regards,
Christian