Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: re: Vint Cerf on Google spectrum and the new "Die Hard"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:08:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: July 24, 2007 12:50:37 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Vint Cerf on Google spectrum and the new "Die Hard"

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Tim Pozar.  DLH]

From: Tim Pozar <pozar () lns com>
Date: July 24, 2007 9:27:31 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

These numbers are not well defined.  Hopefully here are some data points
that folks can use...

Wholesale cost of 1Gb/s of *bandwidth* will be about $10,000.  This
would mean you are pushing or pulling 1Gb/s for 24x7x30.

Having a Gb/s connection to a provider that can push that out to the net
is a different matter.  This is the "last mile" costs.  Depending on
where you are and where you need to go, I have seen 1Gb/s pipes go for
down to about $2,000 a month.  In order to get these prices, you need to
be located in and go to a telecom center like 200 Paul in SFO, a 1
Wilshire in LAX or a 60 Hudson in NYC.  And likely you will only be
going across town for this price.

I have gotten quotes for 1Gb/s of pipe going from 200 Paul to 1 Wilshire
for $3 a Mb/s or $3,000.

BTW... It would be nice if there was a place that folks can get
competitive pricing on bandwidth and pipes.  It certainly would put more
pressure to drop these prices.

Tim

Dewayne Hendricks wrote:
[Note:  This comment comes from a reader who doesn't wish attribution.
If you do the exchange conversion math, what Vint is saying is that you
can get a Gbps for $72/mo in Kyoto.  I did some checking and the best
wholesale price for a Gbps that I could find here in the U.S. was
$3500/mo.  So what accounts for such a disparity?  DLH]

Begin forwarded message: