Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Attack on CS research by Chronicle for Higher Education

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:20:23 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: tom () memestreams net
Date: January 23, 2007 1:31:37 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Attack on CS research by Chronicle for Higher Education

As a resident of Georgia who has attended local "town hall" meetings on
this subject, I think there ARE two sides to this story, and I think
they are talking past each other because both cling to an incorrect but
emotionally important notion: That we know how to run a totally flawless
election.

Its natural for computer security people to ask themselves how a system
can be manipulated. We look at these voting systems, see the
inevitability of attack, and argue that we ought to attach a paper
audit trail. In our minds this offers some of the advantages of
computer tabulation with a safety valve that can take us back to the
way things used to work. The problem here is that we're assuming things
used to work.

At least in Georgia, elections officials seem to be more cynical about
that. They've dealt first hand with the logistics of paper ballots and
they view human errors in the process as unacceptable. At the same
time, they aren't computer security experts, and so the objections that
are being raised about vulnerabilites seem less real to them. The
problem here is that they beleive computers are a solution to a broken
system, and that attaching paper printers to the side means reattaching
the broken part.

The reason these differences of perspective collapse into name calling
is that the alternative is emotionally unacceptable to either side: We
have to come to terms with the fact that running totally accurate,
totally fair, totally anonymous elections on a national scale is a
really hard problem. We don't know how to do it and we've never done it
before. I shudder to think what the situation was like 100 years ago,
and I have to wonder if the electoral college wasn't intended to be as
much a check upon an unreliable system as a check upon the people
themselves.

This idea is so difficult for people to accept, that they'd prefer to
believe that their election officials are involved in a criminal
conspiracy operated by their personal partisan enemies or that these
researchers have no credibility and are simply trying to sell a
product.

I think everyone needs to open their minds a bit. We're not going to
come up with effective solutions to these problems if we aren't willing
to listen.

I'd like to point out some excellent articles Avi Rubin wrote about his
experiences working as an elections volunteer. I think its important
that security researchers who are really interested in this problem
follow his lead and get involved in their local voting process. You
really need that perspective to understand the problem holistically.

http://www.avirubin.com/judge.html