Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Jay-Z, Starbucks Symbolize China's Real Problems: Wi

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:19:35 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Seng <james () seng sg>
Date: January 23, 2007 11:39:13 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Jay-Z, Starbucks Symbolize China's Real Problems: Wi

The article take the position the chinese bloggers who took on
Starbuck issue in Forbidden City is misguided and should tackle bigger
national issues. Why pick on this small poor little Starbuck hidden at
the corner? But it is not hidden at the corner...it is slam right in
the centre of the Forbidden City.

I find Starbuck in the Forbidden City out of place. Starbuck is not
part of Chinese history or culture to be there.

I share the same sentiment as Rui Chenggang, quote "should be as
unwelcome in the Forbidden City as it would be at the Taj Mahal in
India, the pyramids in Egypt or the Louvre Museum in Paris."

(http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/16473633.htm)

I dont see a Starbuck inside Louvre Museum. Perhaps William should
asked why one was not there too.

ps: I am not from China but I am a Chinese descendant.

-James Seng