Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Attack on CS research by Chronicle for Higher Education

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:54:43 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Wilson <dave () wilson net>
Date: January 23, 2007 7:31:07 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, notable () mindspring com, neumann () csl sri com, felten () cs princeton edu, Spafford Gene <spaf () cerias purdue edu> Subject: Re: [IP] Attack on CS research by Chronicle for Higher Education

Can I weigh in as the guy who established the Chronicle's information technology section way back in 1991?

This story is not an attack by the Chronicle on anything. It's a "balanced" story that gives equal weight to arguments from people who are opposed to the use of electronic voting systems and people who think they're fine. I don't know the author but this is a classic journalistic "on the one hand, on the other hand" story (I left CHE ten years ago and left journalism five years after that in no small measure because of the limitations of this format; putting the "official statement" in your story, even if you know it's BS, can seriously erode your self-respect)..

It pretty much goes without saying that any computer security undergrad who thinks Ed Felten is an idiot is, well, an idiot, and it certainly would have been nice if the author had let people know that most people in the computer security community think that all Dr. Felten needs is a cape to be admitted to the Justice League, but the story isn't really about Dr. Felten, it's about this weird arrangement that has an institution of higher learning running elections for an entire state. I had no idea.

-dave